Sunday, June 14, 2009

Another Week, Another Blog

As the weather finally warms here in Sheboygan, I come to my readers (however small in number they may be) with my tasty snippets for the week.

Hole In One

Yep, I got one. And I can't say finally, because I know tons of golfers who much more deserving than me and are much better players. But it was a fantastic experience, and I get to say it happened on one of the most difficult courses in the nation. I even got to see the ball go in. 

My joy lasted for about 3 minutes until I started to realize that my playing partners (who all happened to be caddies that drink a significant amount of alcohol) would soon be expecting me to pay for their night of drinks. And sure enough, just as the thought entered my mind, they began to say, "I can't wait to celebrate at the bar tonight!" I've never been so glad not to be of age. Thank goodness it happened when I was 20 years and 11 months and 3 weeks old. I would have been significantly lighter in the pocketbook otherwise.

Congrats to the Lakers

I would like to point out that the series ended 4-1, just as I predicted in last weeks blog. I am rarely right about sports predictions, despite watching copious amounts of it. So I will take this moment to gloat. mmmm...

I can't say I watched much of this game. When the magic were down 10 at half it already felt over. Kobe played well (although I still think his team play is substandard) and his supporting cast showed up in a big way the past few nights. Give them credit. They were clearly the superior team in this series.

U.S. Open

Amazing test of golf. I have no idea who will win. I've got a feeling it is going to be a blast from the past. I'm gonna pick Jimmy Furyk, even though I dislike him. My favorite Johnny Miller quote was about Furyk's game face on Sunday at Augusta. The camera pans to him and Miller says, "boy...That's a face only a mother could love." Let's see if my predictions can go 2 for 2.

On to the next book

As I finished 2 billion cars, a book written by Donald Sterling on sustainability (finally), I began to read arguably my favorite writer, C.S. Lewis. There are so many qualities about his writing that I enjoy. First, I love how it makes me feel about myself. C.S. Lewis has a reputation for heavy and deep reading, and sticking my nose in his book makes me feel smarter. I know that sounds rediculous, and I've never admitted that, but it's true. I do get some snippets out of him that I find remarkably insightful, and make it worth the hours of grind it out, tough reading. In this case, The Problem of Pain is the read. Written about how to deal with loss as a Christian, it has been interesting so far. One of the main premises I have gotten out of it so far is that the reason we struggle with God allowing things to happen is because we think are generally good people. When Jesus spoke to the Jews at the time, the general rule was people knew that they were bad, and corrupt at heart. In this day of age of self-affirmation and political correctness, we have lost that sense of 'badness' and instead look at God's plan with skepticism and rule it unfair. Until we get back to that sense of shame, it will be impossible for us to really understand the world in which we live.

That's my segway to my favorite passage of the week of reading; 1 Corinthians 9. I don't think this chapter gets enough publicity. Everyone knows the 13th chapter about love, but I really thoroughly enjoyed the 9th chapter. Paul comes across as an everyday guy, with passions and things that get under his skin and problems just like everybody else. Despite all the examples of the 'humanness' of Paul, he shows how remarkably devoted he is to the only true cause he lives for. The height of the chapter where he proves this is verse 19. "Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible." God calls us to make these sacrifices. 

I tend to put Paul on a pedestal because his preaching and dedication to Christ is so amazingly high. I can't really put his actions into a current context in the world of 2009. This chapter is as close as I have found to showing the weakness of Paul as well as the absolute power and strength he had through Christ.

That is all for now. Feel free to comment or critique. I look forward to writing again next week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment